While everyone is packing into the gym, naturals are at home trying to figure out how they can work out without messing up their hair. Don’t let a little sweat intimidate you. Follow these tips to help you keep your hair in tact while staying healthy and fit!
Wear a protective style
How you wear your hair is a major factor in how well it will hold up during your workout. If you work out often, you should consider leaving your hair in a protective style until your wash day. Hair styles like twists, braids, buns, and ponytails are great ways to keep hair during exercise.
Use a scarf or sweat band
It’s best to use a scarf or sweat band to keep your hair and scalp as dry as possible. Actress, Nicole Ari Parker has a great gym wrap product called Save Your Do. This particular wrap helps with keeping moisture at bay while exercising. The less moisture you have on your hair, the better chance you have maintaining your style.
Massage oil into your scalp
So your workout is complete – now what? When you get home try massaging peppermint oil into your scalp. Peppermint oil will break up the build up formed by sweat. For best results use it immediately after working out and then let hair air dry.
If you wear a protective style you should be good to go for at least a week without washing your hair. If not, you might have to co-wash or rinse hair throughout the week. I don’t suggest using a shampoo daily or even a couple times a week, as it will strip away your natural oils. If you feel it is necessary to cleanse multiple times a week, use a cleansing conditioner like As I Am Coconut Co Wash. This is a favorite of many naturals. It cleans hair without all the harsh ingredients shampoos typically have.
Working out with natural hair really isn’t as bad as it seems. I think it’s actually easier to maintain than non-natural hair. If you try these few tips working out shouldn’t be the cost of cute hair!
Click here for more tips on natural hair!
1. Jill ScottSource:Instagram 1 of 43
2. Sanaa LathanSource:Instagram 2 of 43
3. ChilliSource:Instagram 3 of 43
4. Lisa BonetSource:Instagram 4 of 43
5. Chrisette MichelleSource:Instagram 5 of 43
6. Leela JamesSource:Instagram 6 of 43
7. Leela JamesSource:Instagram 7 of 43
8. Marsha AmbrosiusSource:Instagram 8 of 43
9. Janelle Monae9 of 43
10. Marsha AmbrosiusSource:Instagram 10 of 43
11. Keshia Knight PulliamSource:Instagram 11 of 43
12. Keshia Knight PulliamSource:Instagram 12 of 43
13. Kim Coles13 of 43
14. BrandySource:Instagram 14 of 43
15. India Arie.Source:Instagram 15 of 43
16. Corrine Bailey Rae16 of 43
17. Erykah BaduSource:Instagram 17 of 43
18. Michaela Angela DavisSource:Instagram 18 of 43
19. Demetria LucasSource:Instagram 19 of 43
20. Demetria McKinneySource:Instagram 20 of 43
21. SolangeSource:Instagram 21 of 43
22. Alicia KeysSource:Instagram 22 of 43
23. Nicki MinajSource:Instagram 23 of 43
24. Nicki MinajSource:Instagram 24 of 43
25. Tia & Tamera Mowry with their sonsSource:Instagram 25 of 43
26. Tia Mowry-HardrictSource:Instagram 26 of 43
27. Tamera Mowry-HousleySource:Instagram 27 of 43
28. Lupita N’yongoSource:Instagram 28 of 43
29. Gabrielle UnionSource:Instagram 29 of 43
30. Taraji P. HensonSource:Instagram 30 of 43
31. LedisiSource:Instagram 31 of 43
32. Tracee Ellis RossSource:Instagram 32 of 43
33. Yaya DacostaSource:Instagram 33 of 43
34. GoapeleSource:Instagram 34 of 43
35. Lalah HathawaySource:Instagram 35 of 43
36. Tracee Ellis Ross36 of 43
37. Solange37 of 43
38. Chilli38 of 43
39. Chrisette MichelleSource:Instagram 39 of 43
40. Ledisi40 of 43
41. Marsha Ambrosius41 of 43
42. Yaya Dacosta42 of 43
43. Alicia Keys43 of 43
Keep Up With Yolanda Adams On Facebook!